Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Cohen to Play for University of Florida

Julia Cohen and I didn't cross paths in Florida last month, and when she emailed me that she had committed to a college, but didn't say which one, I was eager to talk to her about the decision. With contemporaries Ashley Weinhold and Kim Couts going the pro route, I suspected Cohen would too, but in our conversation, she explained that while that is her ultimate goal, she thought time in college would only benefit her. My Tennis Recruiting Network story on her decision to start classes next week in Gainesville is here and preempts my usual First Thursday Aces post, which will appear on Monday instead.

Cohen called me from New York where she was playing in the USTA National Indoor Open, winning the women's singles title without loss of a set. Marcia Frost of collegeandjuniortennis.com has a report on the tournament here.

A reminder: Anonymous comments are not published. Choose a nickname if you wish to have your comment posted.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a very smart move on Cohen's part. She was definitely not ready for the tour, she lost way too much in the juniors to think about going pro. I'm sure she will be a very good college player. I wonder how Miami let her get away.

Anonymous said...

yes very smart move she is not ready for the tour yet. she will be one of if not the best college player in the country. i wonder too how miami lost her, a player like her with a solid team puts the team as a front runner to win it all.

Anonymous said...

I do not think she will come close to being the best player in the country, I think there are much stronger and more developed girls and cohens game does not march up against these girls at all. However i think attendimg cillege was a smart decision and she will be a strong asset to the Florida squad

Anonymous said...

since Julia decided to go to florida she will now up her chances of being a professional tennis player, 100 percent. she will be one of the best, if not the best female college tennis players in 2008, and will be a great addition to the gators. I believe, she is extremely ready for the competition of high level college tennis, due to the fact she has victories over 3 of the top 100 players in the world.

Anonymous said...

you guys have clearly never seen her play

Anonymous said...

Cohen was going to go to miami? I thought after she made finals of a 25k she would go pro.
Who said she was going there?

scott said...

I'm not sure she was ever going to go to Miami, but she's from that area and her brother played at UM.

This is a very important pickup for Florida. They only had 6 players available for the 2008 season so her pickup is really big. Her addition makes them a real contender.

Anonymous said...

I applaud her for not rushing into the pros and jeopardize her college education. I think she will try the tour, but it will be on her terms. I hope some of the other players out there not even at her level of play use her as an example. I wish her the best of luck and I think college is a very good option for 99% of the kids out there right now playing.