Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Italian Open Preview-ITF Tennis - Juniors

ITF Tennis - Juniors - Italian Open Preview--

Since I can't find the acceptance list for the boys, I'll have to take the ITF's word for who is favored. I think Young is just mentioned as a courtesy to the number one seed, as he can't really be considered most likely to win, given the superior clay-courters in the draw. It's too bad the Italian Federation's website doesn't have an English option, (what I really wish is that I could speak and read Italian), because the Google option I used to translate the one story I could find there was less than fluent. I did gather that Fabio Fognini, who hasn't played juniors all year, isn't entered in his home country's Grade A event, though he is on the Roland Garros Juniors acceptance list. But there are still plenty of formidable entrants--Ukrainian Sergei Bubka, who today just won the Grade 1 in Italy on clay; Brazil's Leonardo Mayer; hometown favorite Andreas Arnaboldi (the only one of the three I've seen play this year.)

I would also mention as contenders--and I don't know if they are playing--Raony Carvalho of Brazil, Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentina and David Navarrete of Venezuela.

I did find the girls acceptance list and the field doesn't look as strong there, with fewer South Americans entered. I would think American Vania King, who should be well-rested, Canadian Sharon Fichman and Russian Ekaterina Makarova are poised to go deep in the draw.

0 comments: