Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

From Monday's Pacific Life Open Notebook - Palm Springs Desert Sun


Intriguing Item from Desert Sun's Pacific Life Open Notebook by Leighton Ginn:

Giving back: The USTA is considering asking Americans players who have gotten financial assistance to pay the organization back some money, somewhere between $25,000 to $30,000. It would be from top Americans who have made a million in prize money.

Taylor Dent said he wouldn't mind giving back, but with a condition.

"I'd like to see where it's going and I'd like to have a little bit of control over that," Dent said. "I wouldn't want my money going to Gatorades on the side of the court. I'd want my money to go for some young junior ... and maybe at my discretion, whether I think the coach is good enough or not. Then I'd feel like my money's not being wasted.


I agree with Dent that a player should have control over this "donation." And I am not going to argue with giving it to a young junior. But I would like to see a college scholarship fund established for juniors who went directly to the professional ranks, so that they have an opportunity to complete their education if they are not able to support themselves by playing on the tour.

0 comments: