Zootennis


Schedule a training visit to the prestigious Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, MD by clicking on the banner above

Tuesday, February 8, 2005

Rough debut for teenager MercuryNews.com | 02/08/2005 |

MercuryNews.com | 02/08/2005 | Rough debut for teenager
There were several very similar stories filed on the Ginepri-Young match. I chose this one because it features a quote from Mike Sell, the USTA High Performance Coach, who is one of the nicest guys I've met in junior tennis. The quotes from Ginepri are interesting too. There's no question that the biggest difference between juniors and touring pros is the serve, and it is usually age 17 & 18 that it ramps up--or doesn't. Let's hope this brief foray into the ATP gives Young a yardstick and a goal for his forthcoming junior matches. I wish that after his victory at the Australian someone had asked him about winning the Junior Grand Slam this year.
2/11/05 Update
The ITF's Faye Andrews was kind enough to let me know that someone did indeed ask Young about his Grand Slam chances after the Australian.
Q. Gael Monfils almost won the junior Grand Slam. You have one now. Is that a goal of yours?:
A. Yeah. I think that's most people's goal when they win the first one. See
how it goes. Yeah, but I'm not going to try to put the extra pressure on
myself.

0 comments: